Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Don’t Drink And Drive? No! Don't Listen And Drive!, Category: Science

musicall
post 27 Aug 2005, 17:46
Post #1

musicall

Group: Members

Don’t Drink And Drive? No! Don't Listen And Drive!
From the The cell phones are bad department
By: Sci/Tech News Staff

Almost 100 students took experiments in which they drove virtual cars. While driving they had to provide answers about the layout of buildings on their campus, or check that statements made by others about relative positions of building were correct. The researchers
monitored various aspects of their driving performance while they performed these tasks.

Before this research the expectation was that speaking would be more detrimental than listening, because speaking is often thought to be a more complex task. "Unexpectedly we found that speaking and listening had very similar detrimental effects," says lead author Tate Kubose, a postdoctoral fellow working in the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Illinois. "These results challenge the widespread presumption that production is harder than comprehension, and the expectation that talking while driving is necessarily more disruptive than listening," says Dr Kubose.

They showed that both speaking and listening had detrimental effects on driving. Participants were poorer at maintaining a stable speed, or keeping a constant distance between themselves and other traffic than when only driving. Paradoxically, there was some indication that when drivers had to speak while driving, their lane control increased even though speed control decreased.

These results support the growing body of data suggesting that it is the cognitive task of conversing via phone, in addition to the physical task of handling the equipment, that impedes a person's ability to drive safely.

27th of August 2005, 14:48 GMT | Copyright © 2005 Softpedia

--------------------
Fiat Punto Classic | Blogu personal - delfinul.com
Va salut dintr-o clinica de dezintoxicare pentru dependentii de webdesign!
User is offlineGalerie FotoPM
Go to the top of the page
+
Boris
post 27 Aug 2005, 18:52
Post #2

Croatian member

Well I can tell you that when I'm talking on a phone (hands free) and driving I slow down a bit. I can tell that my concentration is worse.

This post has been edited by Boris: 27 Aug 2005, 18:53

--------------------
Dacia Logan Laureate 1.6 2005 + LPG Landi Renzo sequent
Reliability of machines is inversely proportional to the number and importance of people watching it
+
dras
post 13 Sep 2005, 13:34
Post #3

Driver

The same for me.

--------------------
Honda Accord Executive 2007 / 2.0 A/T 155CP - B-74-***
+
Lolek
post 13 Sep 2005, 16:12
Post #4

Ignorog

QUOTE(musicall @ 27 Aug 2005, 17:46)
...Before this research the expectation was that speaking would be more detrimental than listening, because speaking is often thought to be a more complex task. "Unexpectedly we found that speaking and listening had very similar detrimental effects," ...

I think listening takes more concentration than speaking. When you speak, you have an "idea" and you say it. Nevertheless, you have it, it's clear, only a small effort to let it out. When you're listening, you have to recompose the other's ideas, which is generally a much bigger effort. Add the additional noise since you're in a car, in some cases the poor connection making it difficult to hear the other and so on.

I'm surprised they had to make a study for this, but anyhow...the result is not surprising, despite the "general expectation".

--------------------
Dacia Pobeda - B-**-***
+
My Berlina
post 15 Sep 2005, 03:25
Post #5

Membru American

Yeah, same for me even when I'm driving my Passat which is an automatic I realize that I'm not as concentrated as I am when I'm not talking on the phone. But I guess it's a little easier on the highway where your just going straight the whole time and from time to time you change lanes or have to take an exit, but still even then its hard because you might be on the 1st lane for a long time and not realize it and there are some angry people behind you. I'm not going to say that's it's even harder when im driving my Berlina because then you have to change gears. And I try to use hands-free most of the time.

--------------------
- - - - Sibiu/North Carolina
Volkswagen Passat GLS V6 2.8L
4x4 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6-cylinder
Dacia Berlina L A/C
+
RIon
post 15 Sep 2005, 06:48
Post #6

pasionat

I am talking through handsfree about 40% of my driving time (that's my job), but I feel ok, don't have to reduce my driving speed at all.

--------------------
Skoda Octavia 2 2005, TDI 160CP 2008, Ford Focus 115 CP - de CJ
www.raresion.ro
+
MotorCity
post 22 Apr 2007, 08:13
Post #7

Membru incepator

biggrin.gif Spare a fender, save a tree, give your sober friend the key....

--------------------
Yamaha Roadliner 2006
+
Barrie
post 15 Sep 2008, 17:18
Post #8

Membru incepator

Remember Guys,

If you drink, don't park: Accidents cause people!!

They're picking up the pieces with a shovel and a rake,
because he grasped a silken stocking,
When he should have grasped the brake!!
Anon. unsure.gif

--------------------
Dacia Logan Logan MCV Diesel 2008 - Not known yet
+
dacialover
post 25 Jan 2009, 22:07
Post #9

Membru incepator

I think you shouldn't even argue and drive! My father and I once did that and he very nearly ran a red light. I pushed his leg on the brake and the car stopped in time luckily.

--------------------
Dacia Logan 2 Prestige 2008 - AG-08-LGN
+
mihaimmm
post 8 Jun 2009, 16:58
Post #10

It is true. You can lose concentration when you listen to someone, not to mention arguing.

--------------------
Renault Megane 3 2011 1.5 dCi 110hp - *
+
martin245
post 23 Jun 2009, 22:14
Post #11

EX PAT

QUOTE(dacialover @ 25 Jan 2009, 21:07)
I think you shouldn't even argue and drive! My father and I once did that and he very nearly ran a red light. I pushed his leg on the brake and the car stopped in time luckily.

NOW THAT SOUNDS to be a fairytale !!!! You pushed his leg and stopped the car laugh.gif
first of all you would have to PULL his leg off the Gas Pedal and move it onto the brake radmasa.gif and then make him brake ALL in a split second
Come back with a better story mate wacko.gif
Stu

--------------------
dacia logan 14 mpi Simply RED 2007 - GB 1
Bessy Regs
+
lowdriver
post 6 Nov 2009, 23:34
Post #12

greasechimp

There shouldn't be such a big fuss about this matter, for these facts are known for at least several decades; there were signs in the public transportation means prohibiting conversations with the drivers at least as early as 30 years ago in Romania, for what I know.
It's obvious that driving is a challenging task that doesn't get easier with any distraction.
I see a similar trend of studies telling us that mobile phones and wlan devices are a liability for our health, although even my grandpa knew that any EMF is more or less harmful for us.
Some still believe in radiation hormesis and homoeopathy. I digress, but the general idea is that reconfirming again and again known facts it's a waste of time; it won't stop the average Joe from self destructing. No offence for those who really need to use the phone while driving.

--------------------
Lada 1200s 1982 S
+
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version  Harta site  Parteneri  Jocuri online  Curs Valutar  HRH Haine din lana merinos Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 00:43
Forum Renault