Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Time to buy is here, Any suggestions are welcome

Boris
post 16 Dec 2004, 10:33
Post #1

Croatian member

Group: Members

Well the time to buy a new car is definitely here. My Fiesta engine more or less blew up yesterday sad.gif so I'm with out a car right now. Later in that day I was in a friend's car and we had a car crash. Not our fault, the guy is just a blind idiot. Yesterday wasn't a good day.

As I said in previous topics the Logan is the strongest candidate. Right now I think that is the car I'm going to buy in the next 7 days (+- few days).

After looking at all the cars I can afford right now I have a choice of three cars:

Dacia Logan 1.6 Laureate
With included
* Servo
* On board computer
* Driver air bag
* Central locking
* Electrical front windows
* Electrical outside mirrors
* Adjustable driver seat
+ AC
+ Second air bag
+ ABS
+ Metallic color
------------------
10 200 EUR

Opel Astra Clasic II 5 hatchback version
1.4 90HP,
With
* ABS
* Servo
* Driver air bag
* Back seat can be folded 60:40
+ AC
+ Central locking
+ Metallic color
+ Adjustable driver seat
+ Adjustable steering wheel
+ Second air bag
--------------------
12 550 EUR

Hyundai Accent hatchback version
1.5 91 HP,
with
* Servo
* Two air bags
* ABS + EBD
* AC
* Electrical windows
* Central locking
* Back seat can be folded 60:40
* Adjustable steering wheel
--------------------------------
12 700 EUR

For me the Logan is the best candidate because of the price, the only thing I'm concerned about is that it's a new car with possible problems that new models have.

I'm going to make a decision in the next few days because there are some holiday discounts right now with smaller interest rates on credits.

Any suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

Boris

This post has been edited by Boris: 16 Dec 2004, 11:00

--------------------
Dacia Logan Laureate 1.6 2005 + LPG Landi Renzo sequent
Reliability of machines is inversely proportional to the number and importance of people watching it
User is offlineGalerie FotoPM
Go to the top of the page
+
GeorgeB
post 16 Dec 2004, 10:44
Post #2

the 7 stars of Pleiades constellation

1opel
2logan
3hyundai

--------------------
SUBARU Legacy 2.5 - ---
L7 2.5 all in black - edition -
+
Boris
post 16 Dec 2004, 10:50
Post #3

Croatian member

QUOTE(GeorgeB @ 16 Dec 2004, 10:44)
1opel
2logan
3hyundai

If the price was not a factor I would buy the Opel, and my wife would buy the Hyundai.

But since the price is a factor I'm still not sure.

Anyway thanks

Boris

--------------------
Reliability of machines is inversely proportional to the number and importance of people watching it
+
vv
post 16 Dec 2004, 11:06
Post #4

dilbert.com

Boris, the current conclusion (on this forum, after analyzing some pictures - Dacia is still 'evaluating' and didn't produce any official response) with the latest Logan incident is that it seems to be pure bad luck - a defect in the steel that is extremely infrequent and cannot be easily detected by a regular inspection of the component (e.g. with ultrasounds). Or at least this is how I understood it, maybe bomicabomic could give you more details. Altogether, there are a number of incidents with steering (6 rumoured, 2 proven) which is a cause of concern, especially since Dacia has no official explanation for it. sad.gif

I cannot give you my own impressions since I have a few more days till I'll be able to pick up my Logan, but from what I read in this forum, here are the problems I saw:
- brake lights don't lit when you press the brake just a little bit - you may have to manually adjust the button that starte the rear brake lights (the button is positioned above the brake pedal). This operation is quite easy to do.
- when you spray the windscreen, the windscreen wipers ('stergatoare' - I don't know the exact translation) will not start automatically as most cars do. This is not a technical problem, it's "how it is designed" - but this function exists in the UCH, you just have to make some minor adjustments to enable it - see this thread http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?showtopic=8959 (in romanian, but hopefully you will understand from the pictures)
- there is only one way to open the trunk 'by default': by using the key (i.e. you would have to stop the engine, remove the key, get out of the car and open the trunk - even if you just want to drop off someone from the car). There is a also tutorial on this forum on how to install an electric lock for the trunk, controlled by a button inside the car - if you need this info say it and maybe someone will attempt a translation for you
- One thing to check is that the pressure in the tires is correct - they are over-inflated by default (during transport) and if the dealer doesn't set the proper pressure, you will have big braking problems (the dealer is supposed to check the pressure, but at leat in Romania they don't usually do it). Anyway it seems that the tires are very low-quality, it may be a good idea to change them.
- Some owners had some noises in the car, but these are particular problems and not very annoying from what I saw ( some even have solutions to remove them). If you have this problem, write a description here, you may get some help.
- One thing that many people complain is that it is hard to use the engine brake in the II and especially in the first gear (e.g. place the car directly in the first gear while the car is still running).
Well those are the problems I remmeber (those that looked 'relevant' to me). Maybe some people will add things if I forgot something.

It is important to say that, while I listed here the problems, it doesn't mean that the cars have many problems. From what I saw, most Logan owners on this forum are very satisfied with their cars. Altogether, it seems that Logan is a good deal.
Regarding the fuel consumption - there are mixed opinions. Some (quite many!) people say that they get a consumption that is below the one stated by the manufacturer, others say that they get higher consumption. I think it's very dependent on the driving style, and what Dacia stated is a good estimate of the 'average' consumption (i.e. consumption of an 'average' driver).

--------------------
Renault Grand Scenic 2008 - B.00.XXX
It is final proof of god's omnipotence that he needs not exist in order to save us.
+
Czar
post 16 Dec 2004, 12:25
Post #5

Membru incepator

VV I find your reply very usefull because I will pick up my Logan today. On the other hand I feel very insecure about the problems you mentioned with steering and breaking. The last thing I want is to havve have a new car which I will be afraid to drive! unsure.gif

--------------------
Dacia Logan 1.6 Laureate - -862-OK
+
vv
post 16 Dec 2004, 12:31
Post #6

dilbert.com

Just to avoid the misunderstanding: Czar, there is no braking problem. It's just that the lights will not lit if you press just a little bit the brake (they will lit if you press it harder).
[later edit] I Ijust re-read my post, and noticed I reffered to brake several times:
1. Pressure in tires - check it, its not a technical problem but make sure it is ok, for many of us it wasn't (high pressure will lead to longer braking distance)
2. Quality of tires - sad.gif yes its not so good. But this doesn't mean that you will be unable to brake. Personally, I will try it first for a few months to see if I get along fine with the 'default' tires - and if I don't like them, I'll change them.
3. 'hard to use the engine brake' - not really a braking problem. What I meant is that for instance if you are running with 30km/h you may have big difiiculties to place the car in the 1st gear (it will enter very hard or it won't enter at all). The same is somehow true for the 2nd gear (but much less acute) - you may feel a 'bump' when you try to place it in the 2nd gear. This problem with the 2nd gear is not even reported by all owners, so you may get lucky smile.gif

This post has been edited by vv: 16 Dec 2004, 12:41

--------------------
It is final proof of god's omnipotence that he needs not exist in order to save us.
+
Boris
post 16 Dec 2004, 12:47
Post #7

Croatian member

VV Thanks for the info, nice summary of expiriences.

If I will have a problem with the back brake lights I think I will go to the srvice center and they will do all the nececary tuning. It's supposed to be working whenever I brake, so it's a manufacturer mistake (not a big one) and they are supposed to take care of it. If they won't do it then I'll maybe resort to doing it myself.

As for the trunk opening I don't care. It's was (or is) like that wiht my current car and I don't mind turning of the engine. Thats not a evry day thing.

As for the noises I can't say because I don't know how loud and how often they are.

The tire pressure information is useful, adujsting it takes a few minutes so it's OK and it's not a problem at all.

As for the engine brake. Well I don't know if you are supposed to put the car in I gear while still moving. All the cars that I drove did not like that. The brakes felt fine on the test drive.

The declared fuel consumption is similar to the other models.

I'm still thinking what to buy. I'll post what I decided.

One again thanks.

Boris

This post has been edited by Boris: 16 Dec 2004, 12:48

--------------------
+
luck
post 16 Dec 2004, 12:55
Post #8

Membru incepator

I don't think that is a big problem with the brake lights , if you just press lightly on the brake maybe does't even brake , so why the lights sould lite ?

The pressure in the tires : that is not a problem , make the pressure right and hit the road Jack .

The brake engine hmmm.?

The only real problem that i see, and one to make you think , are the steering problems( seems that they are many , but we don't know exactly what happened so , and others say that it has happened to others major car builders , so . wacko.gif ..? )

P.s. I allmost forgot Logan Laureat doesn't have A.B.S. ......

--------------------
Dacia Logan 2005 Laureate 1.4 - B-xx-LCN.
traieste clipa ....
+
vv
post 16 Dec 2004, 13:17
Post #9

dilbert.com

Luck, 'Laureate' in Romania doesn't have ABS but Renault is not keeping the same naming policy in all the countries. In Croatia, ABS is optional on the Laureate.

--------------------
+
smar2
post 16 Dec 2004, 13:25
Post #10

Membru incepator

I think it would be nice if we (the Romanians) could see the price list, the optional stuff in other countries.

Could anyone from abroad please post something like that, or a link to an English translated site...?

Thanks

--------------------
Dacia Logan MCV Laureate 1.6MPI - HSK-.....
+
luck
post 16 Dec 2004, 13:28
Post #11

Membru incepator

Sorry, my bad ! I didn't know that ...

F**k that , I want a Laureate 1.4 with A.B.S. but that is not available .... sad.gif in the amazing and fascinating Romania...

--------------------
Dacia Logan 2005 Laureate 1.4 - B-xx-LCN.
traieste clipa ....
+
Boris
post 16 Dec 2004, 13:30
Post #12

Croatian member

QUOTE(smar2 @ 16 Dec 2004, 13:25)
I think it would be nice if we (the Romanians) could see the price list, the optional stuff in other countries.

Could anyone from abroad please post something like that, or a link to an English translated site...?

Thanks

If you are talking about prices for Logan I have posted the translated price list in Croatia in Different names in different countires

--------------------
+
DJ Nesta
post 16 Dec 2004, 22:25
Post #13

Membru incepator

Hello,

I am new here, a Dutch living in teh Czech Republic and impatiently waiting until they finally deliver my Logan 1.4 Laureate. As you see on my picture - you can guess why.

Here in CZ the Logan has brought a lot of discussion - mainly positive. Here you can by three versions: Logan, Ambiente and Laureate, with different levels of extra equipment.
One guy has bought an 1.4 ambiente a few weeks ago and made a site on the internet about his experiences until now. In general: positive. He is mentioning some (very minor) minuses, but until now nothing serious. He is only XTREMELY pissed off at this moment: somebody stole the Dacia-markes from the fromt and the back.... and of course scratched the paint....
If there are people here who read czech, i can give some useful links. (prices, experiences, etc. - here for ex. you can order the Laureate 1.4 with ABS, by the way...).
About the steering-problem I haven't heared anything here. I hope they will soon solve it - I also bought the one with the powered steering.

--------------------
+
Boris
post 16 Dec 2004, 23:59
Post #14

Croatian member

Thanks everybody

The Logan is orderd, it will be delivered in February.

Boris

--------------------
+
Czar
post 17 Dec 2004, 10:01
Post #15

Membru incepator

QUOTE(DJ Nesta @ 16 Dec 2004, 21:25)
Hello,

I am new here, a Dutch living in teh Czech Republic and impatiently waiting until they finally deliver my Logan 1.4 Laureate. As you see on my picture - you can guess why.

Here in CZ the Logan has brought a lot of discussion - mainly positive.  Here you can by three versions: Logan, Ambiente and Laureate, with different levels of extra equipment.
One guy has bought an 1.4 ambiente a few weeks ago and made a site on the internet about his experiences until now. In general: positive. He is mentioning some (very minor) minuses, but until now nothing serious. He is only XTREMELY pissed off at this moment: somebody stole the Dacia-markes from the fromt and the back....  and of course scratched the paint....
If there are people here who read czech, i can give some useful links. (prices, experiences, etc. - here  for ex. you can order the Laureate 1.4 with ABS, by the way...).
About the steering-problem I haven't heared anything here. I hope they will soon solve it - I also bought the one with the powered steering.

Hi DJ Nesta

Can you please give us the links to the sites you know with usefull comments from Logan owners? (Since yesterday I am one of them too)
English speaking owners off course!

--------------------
Dacia Logan 1.6 Laureate - -862-OK
+
Boris
post 17 Dec 2004, 11:03
Post #16

Croatian member

QUOTE(Czar @ 17 Dec 2004, 10:01)
Hi DJ Nesta

Can you please give us the links to the sites you know with usefull comments from Logan owners? (Since yesterday I am one of them too)
English speaking owners off course!

Don't forget to post your opinion and expiriences smile.gif

--------------------
+
VladoMKD
post 17 Dec 2004, 18:12
Post #17

Membru incepator

I think that you made good decision. I drive first 2000 km with my Logan 1.4 and Im very satisfeied with the car. Everithing seems ok, fuel consuption close to factory values. I have no complains at all.

I feel like driving Renault not Dacia cool.gif

--------------------
Dacia Logan Laureate 1.4
+
VladoMKD
post 23 Dec 2004, 18:38
Post #18

Membru incepator

QUOTE(vv @ 16 Dec 2004, 13:31)

1. Pressure in tires - check it, its not a technical problem but make sure it is ok, for many of us it wasn't (high pressure will lead to longer braking distance)

I must admitted, tires of my Logan are over-inflated whan I take from dealer.

2. Quality of tires - sad.gif yes its not so good. But this doesn't mean that you will be unable to brake. Personally, I will try it first for a few months to see if I get along fine with the 'default' tires - and if I don't like them, I'll change them.

Seems ok to me, not like Good year or Michelin but......

3. 'hard to use the engine brake' - not really a braking problem. What I meant is that for instance if you are running with 30km/h you may have big difiiculties to place the car in the 1st gear (it will enter very hard or it won't enter at all). The same is somehow true for the 2nd gear (but much less acute) - you may feel a 'bump' when you try to place it in the 2nd gear. This problem with the 2nd gear is not even reported by all owners, so you may get lucky smile.gif

1st gear yes, but I dont now wich car can do this without problems with 30km/h, I have no problems with 2nd gear.

--------------------
Dacia Logan Laureate 1.4
+
Valentine
post 23 Dec 2004, 20:34
Post #19

Old Timer

QUOTE(Boris @ 17 Dec 2004, 00:59)
The Logan is orderd, it will be delivered in February.

Another future victim of Dacia Inc. biggrin.gif ... good luck with your new car, you're gonna need it!

If it's of any importance at this point, I would have voted without any doubts for the Opel.

--------------------
Ford Focus 2009
Hi, I'm a signature virus. Please replace your old signature with this signature and help me take over the world of signatures.

Atentie, atentie, si iar atentie!
+
Boris
post 30 Dec 2004, 15:29
Post #20

Croatian member

QUOTE(Valentine @ 23 Dec 2004, 20:34)
Another future victim of Dacia Inc. biggrin.gif ... good luck with your new car, you're gonna need it!

If it's of any importance at this point, I would have voted without any doubts for the Opel.

I hope you are wrong with thw victim part, but we'll see.

I think the Opel is the best car of the 3 cars listed, but the price was a deciding factor. I decided that the Opel is not worth the 25% price difference.

BTW the Fiesta is riding again smile.gif

I have changed the whole engine for 400 euros. I'll sell the car later.

This post has been edited by Boris: 30 Dec 2004, 15:32

--------------------
+
Boris
post 27 Feb 2005, 10:12
Post #21

Croatian member

QUOTE(VladoMKD @ 17 Dec 2004, 18:12)

I feel like driving Renault not Dacia  cool.gif

Just to finish this "buying" thread.

Pick up the Logan on Friday.

Yesterday I've cca 70 km with it and I really like the car. It took me a couple of km to get used to the soft pedals.

I'm just enjoying my new toy right now biggrin.gif

--------------------
+
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version  Harta site  Parteneri  Jocuri online  Curs Valutar  HRH Haine din lana merinos Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 19:12
Forum Renault