Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Template
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > Dacia Logan English Corner
martin245
Hi Who can make a template for me to stick over my speedometer .
I need to have it converted to MPH and instead of sticking numbers on
i was thinking of a Large sticker with the complete numbers on it
Stu

Come on Guys this is what I am after
user posted image
g100sic
Stu, design is not a problem if you have the exact measurements, and if you have where to print it.
martin245
QUOTE(g100sic @ 30 Aug 2008, 08:18)
Stu, design is not a problem if you have the exact measurements, and if you have where to print it.

Here is a link to the KMH to MPH http://www.eforecourt.com/mph_kph_speed_convert.htm

Stu
g100sic
You didn't understand me, kph <-> mph conversion is not a problem, it's easy to calculate. I was referring to the dimensions of the sticker, diameter of the circle, and so on...

Is your idea to cover the original Logan's speedometer with this sticker?
If so, then it must be made to fit snugly, with precise dimensions.
martin245
Yes thats exactly what I need and it must like you say fit exactly and snugly
It must also be see through and if possible to be read also in the Dark
English Law mad.gif
regards
Stu

I wont be sticking this sticker ON the Speedo It will be getting stuck on the Glass
g100sic
So, the question remains, can you provide the measures?!

Do you mean the outside glass, on the dashboard? That glass is curved! It is also far from the speedometer itself, makes no sense putting sticker on that glass. Not to mention how that complicates the design (making it look round on the curved and angled surface).

Are there no ready made stickers, after all, it's Renault dashboard in the Logan, and Renaults are not so uncommon in the UK, I suppose?!
martin245
Yes I realise it is curved but that is the only way !Unless I can get a Scrap Logan and remove the Dial and paint on the MPH .The biggest problem though is removing the Speedo .Its a Big Job
Stu
g100sic
Well, I meant to help you, but I don't think I could.
Making such a sticker precisely would require a 3D modeling, or a lot of trial-and-error cycles. And I still don't think it would be useful. Being so far away from the dial itself, it would be of use only if you'd keep your head absolutely steady all the time (parallax)!

And I doubt English law could turn the blind eye on such a contraption.
martin245
Mmmmm Then i will just stick the numbers in the correct places
and in the Meantime you look out in the local scrapyards for a scrap logan
I just need the dial and when i (if) get a problem with with the English MOT
i can spend a lot of money and get it fitted
Thanks for you help so far mate
Stu
heinz57g
like it or not, stu, i can just summarize: IT WILL NOT WORK THAT WAY.
most of the reasons g100sic has explained in great (and correct) detail,
but just for the fun of it, try it. stick a few small paper dots (lick them,
and they will stay for a few minutes) onto the front curved plastic.

then look at them, and move your head just a bit. the same dot that was
sticking at 40kmh will appear at 60kmh if you just slump down in your
seat a bit, and so on.

now i know you will say 'for once i will prove hienz wrong', but sadly,
thats what it is. how ever good a template will be, out on the curved
plastic it will just not do.

we ( ! ) will have to look for another solution.

greetings - heinz -
ga!nusha
Stu, maybe this helps...

http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?act=Atta...t&id=1627442298

they are scanned at 150 dpi by adiya.
heinz57g
ga!nusha, they look great, but might be of no use to stu: converting them
to miles/hour might be easy, but they still go onto the inside of the tachometer
assembly, which stu rightly says is difficult to open up and put back. he thinks
of a solution with the stickers on the outside, strongly bent plastic cover, some
5-15 cm in front of the actual dials, and such a thing plainly will not work.

greetings - heinz -
martin245
ga!nusha thanks for that it will come in usefull if I can remove the tacho
@Heinz Yes you are right about the bend in the glass but we have a saying and its
Bullshit Baffles Brains ....this means if it looks good it could get through
I dont think the MOT man will sit in front of the dial moving his head up and down like a nodding dog ......................(i hope)
How hard is it to remove the Speedo
Could I get the glass out without removing the whole Shebang?? (Slang for thing)
have a nice week all of you
Stu

Nodding Dog
user posted image
ga!nusha
you have to take off the steering wheel base plastic cover, unscrew 2 bolts(using torx T20) and to remove the sun protector for the dashboard. it is not so complicated...
the dashboard is fixed in 4 screws.

here are some pics:
http://www.daciaclub.ro/https://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?showtopic=14606

if you ever used a screwdriver before it can't take more than 10 minutes to get access to the speed/rpm sticker. you just have to be careful not to brake the plastic joints.
heinz57g
ga!nusha, it could well be that the workshops tell nonsense when they
say how difficult it is. we have luckily (on now 20+ logans) never had
to replace it, so i have no firsthand experience.

but if it is as you say, and i am 99.9% sure it is, it would be the perfect
solution for stu. have somebody draw a template with miles/hour, stick
it in, and 15 (or maybe 30) minutes later he has a morris minor (almost).

but stu, pls dont do it yourself - let your wife do it.

great, and many thanks - heinz -
martin245
Hey this looks good I will have to try and get someone to do this for me !!
has anyone got an Old Speedo or can find one for me i could just swap the dial then
I will now print off these photos
Thanks a bunch guys ..we do sometimes talk a load of codswallop but we also seem to get the jobs sorted in the end .
Thanks again ga!nusha
oh Hi Heinz
and here is a Morris Minor in my eyes one of the nicest(eye catching) cars to hit the streets and it was years before its time
user posted image

WANTED ONE SPEEDO FACE

<span class='edit'>1 Sep 2008, 17:43:</span>
One more thing is it easy to remove the plastic face
Stu
heinz57g
tks stu for MM picture. why does it bring tears to my eyes?

greetings - heinz -
martin245
Heinz
Did you know you can still BUILD Morris Minors From spare parts
http://www.morrisminor.co.uk/index.htm
Stu
ga!nusha
One more thing is it easy to remove the plastic face
Stu

to gain access to the spedo and rpm plastic face(the one with numbers on it smile.gif ) you have to unscrew 4 bolts from the back of the dashboard wth a T10 torx and remove the plastic face(it has 4 or 6 plastic joints)

BTW: you also have to remove the.... hmmm... "stick indicators blush.gif " for the rpm and mph... so you have to remember the exact position. as far as i know, they won't autocalibrate.( at least not at my logan...)
martin245
Hi thanks for the info
Surely if you put the speedo and RPM hands back on the Very Start they will be ok
Or????????
Stu

Why did you remove yours
ga!nusha
they will be ok.

i removed them because i changed the colour of the dashboard. and to get to the LED's i have to strip smile.gif
martin245
How did you remove the cover around the light and indicator stalks .I dont want to break anything as I have two left hands biggrin.gif
Stu
ga!nusha
If i remember well.... it has some screws on the back...but i'm not 100% sure... i did it 2 years ago...
g100sic
Stu, you surely noticed that speed dial is illuminated from the inside! Would you want to cover it completely with a non-transparent sticker?! Then you won't have any illumination of the dial in the dark whatsoever! The alternative would be to have both sets of dials, for example in contrentric layout, but would that be acceptable?
martin245
No its OK now ! I have the template and will be having it done by a mate in England it will be (IN PLACE ) over the old Tacho thanks to Galnusha he has been a great help ..as all of you
Stu
ga!nusha
you can also completly replace the spedo and rpm dials.... you can use the template to make a new one that also has tranparency. you can create a transparent layer and stick over the black layer that is not transparent....

so you will have a layer with the digits that is transparent and one with the background that is not transparent..

my english is so crappy today...
heinz57g
>> my english is so crappy today...

no no, its fine, we all understand what you are saying. actually,
it is, well, very 'transparent'. and much better than stu's, at times.

so keep the tips coming ...

greetings - heinz -
martin245
Yes I am getting one made with all the colours and maybe i will have my name inside ...............Stu........ haha
Heinz
it is not hard to spoke better England then I couldnt wen eye was a children radmasa.gif

Bessie Still regs
Stu
heinz57g
>> couldnt wen eye was a children

well, thats was over ten years ago.

having your name inside the dial is a great idea. put it at about 55mph,
since that is your top speed anyhow.

seriously, for those who read here and are not firm about their english:

dont worry about it, write and discuss things here anyhow. dont be shy
because of your language. we can always sort things out, or just ask a
couple of times, again and again. but we are all 'foreigners' here trying
to help each other. and poor stu.

greetings - heinz -

PS: stu, ever come across a german song 'Ich Bin Der Martin' ?
martin245
Yes it was from Dieter Krebs und er hatte von Krebbs Gestorben
Stu
ga!nusha
LOL
you can write your name instead of "x100" and "km/h" text wink.gif

also, are you gonna keep both mp/h and km/h? or just keep mp/h?
martin245
Good Question
I will keep the original template (UNDER) the new one so that when i want to sell the car again I can have it changed back to sell on the continent ,It will not be sellable in the United Kingdom due to the steering Wheel
Stu
g100sic
No, you will not be able to keep the old one under, because then you will not have the correct illumination (transparency) of the new one!!! Except maybe if you want to have illuminated marks on, say, 37.5 miles per hour... radmasa.gif
ga!nusha
why don't you make it like this?
user posted image
martin245
Hey u such a simple idea .!!! I will pass this on to my Mate ...You have some great ideas ...A worthwhile forum member
Thanks
Stu
EinarN
@ martin245

Why dont you try to buy a kompletly speedometer in ebay.com in MPH what are used in the Logan what its sld under Renault name in Brasil and other latin america countrys ?
It's imposible to not find one.

BTW....:

Warum versuchst du nicht in ebay.com ein Kompletten Tacho zu Besorgen was in Meilen ist?
Abgesehen davon, Du kannst dir einen in Photoschop Basteln und auf Folie Ausdrücken was bei den Rückrojecktoren Benützt wird in den Schülen, auschneiden und einsetzen.
Läst Du die Ziffern Weiss, Bleiben die beim Ausdruck Transparent und somit haste die notwendige Durchleuchtung wink.gif
martin245
Brazil are also lhd
Stu
http://www.renault.com.br/master.aspx?colu...=221&idCarro=16
Aali
Hi, Stu I came across a german sticker manufacturer http://www.tacho-cartuning.de .They deal in km/h ,but from what I read in their site's english version they are open to special ordering.Hope it helps you 1zhelp00.gif

Aali
GabrielD
Hi Stu,

How does it look like your new speedometer?

gabriel
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.