Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Castrol TBE petrol additive?
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > General Discussion
zorpetus

Few days ago I saw at gas station that they sell (among other things) Castrol gasoline additive that is designed to "clean" the fuel and help engine have better combustion.

It is packed in a plastic white bottle of half litre with approx 10 cm long "nose" in red color that is narrow enough that can be inserted into the hole of a gasoline tank for unleaded fuel. (additive for diesel fuel is bottle of the same shape - only that bottle nose is in green color).

It says that this one part of this additive goes with 1000 parts of fuel, meaning this bottle lasts for 500 litres of fuel.

Here what is says on the label - in German:

==========
TBE
Benzinzusatz
Ersetzt umweltfreundlich die schmierende Wirkung von Blei im Ventilbereich, schützt nicht gehärtete Ventilsitze vor Verschleiß, reinigt Vergaser und Kraftstoffsystem, schützt vor Vereisung und Korrosion. Geeignet für alle Fahrzeuge mit Katalysator.

* Mischungsverhältnis 1:1000
==========

Has anyone tried this with Logan 1.4 and 1.6 engines? Is it safe to use? Even with relatively new car (less than 5.000 km?).

BAC
Maybe is safe but certainly is waste of money. Is not necessary to use in the new engine.
kodrix
If your car doesn't have a problem you don't need to use that solution. So, my advice is not to use it!
zorpetus
QUOTE(BAC @ 15 Aug 2006, 13:31)
Maybe is safe but certainly is waste of money. Is not necessary to use in the new engine.

I know that it is not necessarry to use it in new engine, but since quality of fuel around here (Balkans) is under big question mark... maybe this could be good preventive maintenance for the fuel injectors etc.
driverx
From time to time, drive the car at higher RPMs to keep the injectors opened for a longer period of time to allow some type of cleaning the injectors. smile.gif This will eliminate small sediments which may block the injectors to work properly.

P.S. Be careful, do not destroy the engine tongue.gif
zorpetus
QUOTE(driverx @ 15 Aug 2006, 15:47)
From time to time, drive the car at higher RPMs to keep the injectors opened for a longer period of time to allow some type of cleaning the injectors. smile.gif This will eliminate small sediments which may block the injectors to work properly.

P.S. Be careful, do not destroy the engine tongue.gif

Yeap, I know, so called "Italian tuning" :-)

Speaking about the RPM - what is recommended as optimum RPM for 1.4 engine?
Optimum - meaning best ratio between power and fuel consumption.

And I guess that this engine should not be driven for a long period over 4000 rpm?

mccoy
Perhaps Castrol gasoline additive is suitable only for engines with Castrol oil in… laugh.gif
I agree that is waste of money.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.