Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Computer OS
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > General Discussion
Boris
I use Open SUSE 10.1

Why? I have much less problems with the machine (compared to MS Windows), allmost no maintainance needed.
ovidiusoft
Linux all the way. Ubuntu on my desktop/laptops, Debian un my servers. Why Linux? I was curious about it some 8 years ago then I got hooked biggrin.gif
Boris
I think this is my third pool on this forum and for some reason there is maybe one vote for every 10 visits of the pool.

So either my pools are really stupid (or boring) or people just don't like to vote.
TheSaiLor
I use windows licenced on my notebook. On the others computers I use just windows. biggrin.gif
My Berlina
Licensed Windows XP.
marksman
Gentoo Linux
lucianac79
just plain windows Windows, havent got the money for a licence, but when I`ll have the money I will use linux, cause it`ts free.
MoneyTalks
QUOTE(Boris @ 5 Nov 2006, 11:32)
my pools are really stupid (or boring)

I think you should put some wather in them (or maybe wine)... icon_mrgreen.gif
Marty
Honestly, do you have a problem with the swimers?
Boris
QUOTE(MoneyTalks @ 6 Nov 2006, 17:29)
I think you should put some wather in them (or maybe wine)... icon_mrgreen.gif

QUOTE(Marty @ 6 Nov 2006, 20:14)
Honestly, do you have a problem with the swimers?

icon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gificon_mrgreen.gif
AIX
Licenced WXP on my laptop, Linux on my workstation; so, XP for entertaiment, Linux for work.
alex
Licensed Windows XP on my PC, Linux for DaciaClub server.
Why Windows for home PC? Because Linux isn't ready for my desktop PC yet. Missing good alternatives to MPLAB, Proteus VSM, Altium Designer, Photoshop (don't mention Gimp smile.gif )
sorin1983
xp professional sp2 cracked biggrin.gif
in fact...everything is pirate on my pc biggrin.gif it even has a black flag with a white skull on top biggrin.gif
Thor1983
Windows XP SP2 Academic Licence / Linux (PCLinuxOS/Ubuntu/Debian/Knoppix)

I use Linux for convenience, it is more user friendly. Also, Need for Speed runs only on Windows. biggrin.gif At school I use various Linux distros. Between the two I would choose open-source OS 90% of the time.
Boris
QUOTE(alex @ 7 Nov 2006, 22:45)
Licensed Windows XP on my PC, Linux for DaciaClub server.
Why Windows for home PC? Because Linux isn't ready for my desktop PC yet.

biggrin.gif

My situation is exactlly oposite. On the company owned laptop there's Win XP and considering a lot of software taht is used there is no Linux alternative (mainly most of the CAD/CAM software have no alternative), but that's the company's decision.

I use Linux on my private machine because I'm fed up with babysitting and fixing Windows. On Suse everything is working without software problems for years now, end there's nothing missing, at least nothing I need.
C a t a l i n
Windows Xp Professional SP2 Academic Edition (Free License)
Windows Vista soon...
Liv05
Windows XP Professional SP2 licensed, but I think that's the only thing licensed on my computer biggrin.gif .
MoneyTalks
QUOTE(Boris @ 9 Nov 2006, 21:02)
On Suse everything is working without software problems for years now, end there's nothing missing, at least nothing I need.

At least you could use a Linux, not... Suse... tongue.gif icon_mrgreen.gif
Boris
QUOTE(MoneyTalks @ 12 Nov 2006, 23:44)
At least you could use a Linux, not... Suse... tongue.gif  icon_mrgreen.gif

Tried a couple of distros, started with Mandrake. Suse was the only distro that got everything working. Must say that 10.1 is full of bugs, 10.0 was a much better choice.
DragosP
QUOTE(Boris @ 13 Nov 2006, 08:24)
Suse was the only distro that got everything working. Must say that 10.1 is full of bugs, 10.0 was a much

Yeap, Suse is the windows of linux. icon_mrgreen.gif
I use Mandriva.
MoneyTalks
Try CentOS. It is the free RedHat Enterprise Linux... smile.gif
adip
Boris, Suse 10.1 was a completely broken release due to their new zmd/rug updater. They have released a remastered image of 10.1. I'm waiting for 10.2, though, but at home I'm very happy with 10.0 (of course, thanks to packman and guru repositories).
You can also take a look at Ubuntu, their distro is getting better with each release.
icatenej
One more Linux user here...
Boris
QUOTE(adip @ 13 Nov 2006, 21:57)
Boris, Suse 10.1 was a completely broken release due to their new zmd/rug updater. They have released a remastered image of 10.1. I'm waiting for 10.2, though, but at home I'm very happy with 10.0 (of course, thanks to packman and guru repositories).
You can also take a look at Ubuntu, their distro is getting better with each release.

Right everything is working on my Suse 10.1 so I'll let it be for a while.
DigitalScribe
3 Computers. The power-hog one uses XP Home SP2 with the proper licence (and I must mention that I hate windows activations !!! especialy when you reinstall your video card's driver !) the other two use two different flavours of Linux. One is Fedora Core 5 (a server) and the other is a Mandriva 2007 (ex.Mandrake + Conectiva). I must mention that Mandriva 2007 is a realy good option for the desktop. Comes with everything out of the box (except some video drivers for some video cards like nVidia and ATI because I have the free download edition) from music to movies and with a bit of playing arround with wine you can have windows games as well.
Boris
While we are at the topic of computers mine died on me again sad.gif . Last time it was the primary hard drive, this time I don't know yet.
mcv_rulez
I'm using Windows Vista (BETA2, RC2), It's good......
I've hacked it from Microsoft's site.... rolleyes.gif
martin245
Watch out what you write this can be found in Google and stuff then go to your profile and they are on to you (Microsoft)
BE CARFULL sad.gif
STU
dizzy
I use Windoze XP SP2 licensed on my work computer and Ubuntu via VMWARE Player and Linux Ubuntu on my private home one.
Boris
QUOTE(martin245 @ 27 Nov 2006, 09:49)
Watch out what you write this can be found in Google and stuff then go to your profile and they are on to you (Microsoft)
BE CARFULL sad.gif
STU

I really don't think that they will bother with the users that have one private computer at home. But you never know, remember Metallica!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.