DaciaClub Logo

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Coil change, Do you have to change coils in pairs on 1.6 16V?

Aali
post 10 Dec 2009, 20:48
Post #1

PAT PAT

Group: Members

Hi everyone one of my colleagues was saying that if one of four coils on Logan 1.6 16V is blown you have to change it in pairs i.e. coil 1 and 4 or coil 2 and 3 together if any is faulty you have to change both.What do you say?

Aali

--------------------
Iran Khodro LOGAN 2008-2013 Logan facelift Automatic
User is offlineGalerie FotoPM
Go to the top of the page
+
marksman
post 11 Dec 2009, 11:06
Post #2

Post mortem nihil est

I only know that shock absorbers should be changed in pairs, e.g. you change a shock absorber in the rear, you should change the other one in the rear too. I guess you could apply the same rule for the coils.

--------------------
Opel / Mazda Crossland X / CX-30 2019 / 2020
Charlie Foxtrot
+
C a t a l i n
post 11 Dec 2009, 11:12
Post #3

I think by coils he means the electric ignition coils for the ignition system, not the springs.

I don't know how is the coil configuration for the 1.6 16v engine. It might have a separate coil for each cylinder (so 4 coils in total), or 2 coils in the same enclosure, each giving electric power for 2 cylinders at the same time.

In the first case, I don't see any reason to change 2 coils, you need to change only the faulty one.
In the second scenario, you have to replace the coil unit, which contains both coils.

Later Edit: I guess that you have a separate ignition coil for each cylinder, and it's located between the spark plug and the spark plug cable, on the engine block. That means you need to change only the faulty one.

Hope it helps!

This post has been edited by C a t a l i n: 11 Dec 2009, 11:26

--------------------
- - -
Când vrei și, și, iese nici, nici!
+
einstein1984
post 11 Dec 2009, 12:29
Post #4

fan Dacia

Coils are physicaly separate, but work in pairs (waisted spark). When one goes, it ruins the other one (with no resistance in one of them, the current is higher in the other one). Change them in pairs, it's better in the long run.

This post has been edited by einstein1984: 11 Dec 2009, 15:11

--------------------
daca nu ai o toyota 4X4,ai gresit masina - negru pe alb
"Popa Nan e-o stradă-nspre Hala Traian
De la Foișor până-n Piața Vitan"
+
marksman
post 11 Dec 2009, 15:20
Post #5

Post mortem nihil est

Sorry, my bad

--------------------
Opel / Mazda Crossland X / CX-30 2019 / 2020
Charlie Foxtrot
+
Aali
post 14 Dec 2009, 16:29
Post #6

PAT PAT

Hi everyone my car has 4 seperate coils also known as coil on plugs system.I also googled wasted spark and it usually is two spark plugs per coil like my father's camry V6 engine which has 3 coils only instead of 6 and these systems also use precious metal spark plugs on both central and ground electrodes i.e. double platinum spark plugs as is the case with my father's car and change interval is longer(my father's car need changing every 80000 Km).Some other Renaults use coils on single spark plugs firing in pairs ,What I was asking was from your experience having logans longer than me or as workshop mechanics working with logans that have you seen this practice or my friend is mistaken?

Aali

--------------------
Iran Khodro LOGAN 2008-2013 Logan facelift Automatic
+
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version  Harta site  Parteneri  Jocuri online  Curs Valutar  HRH Haine din lana merinos Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 17:14
Forum Renault