Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: a strange whening sound with my LOGAN MCV 2009
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > Dacia Logan English Corner
mostafabakry
Hi every body,

I'm Mostafa from Egypt, I have a Logan mcv 2009 , it is starts to lunch the Egyptian market in 2009 under Renault brand, my car now reached 27000 KM within 10 months of using since i had bought it in Feb 2009

from a short time I started to notice a whining sound appears once I reached the speed of 70 Km\H on the 4th gear and hold my leg on the fuel pedal to run at a constant speed 70 km\h & I also this is repeated on the 5th gear when the car reach 90 Km\H and fix the speed on this level

this sound did not appear if I accelerate the car continuing speed up

this sound is a small, may be could not be heared to the others in the car but it makes me angry mad.gif , I have a sensitive ear icon_mrgreen.gif

I went to a Renault's certified Maintenance center on my city ( Luxor) on the 25000 maintenance & I told them about my notice, they took the car for a test & they confirm my notice & their recommendations was to replacing the oil of the gearbox as it is the first step in such these problems to start with , I approved that
,they replaced it with a Total oil (2 liters)

I decide to travel with my car to Cairo for a business trip (utilizing this long distance to test the car about 1500 KM )
I decided to visit the main Renault car maintenance center, show them the car , they may have the experience more than the one of my city .
they also tested the car but this time they said that every thing is normal & there is no abnormal sounds in the car

now I'm confused & i feel the sound which makes me

what is your advise

does any one of you face this problem or it is normal
what is your recommendations

hope to get your feedback

thanks in advance

Mostafa
razvanamza
Is the sound around 3200rpm? I know it's a technological sound, so every Logan has it....
mostafabakry
QUOTE(razvanamza @ 25 Dec 2009, 21:17)
Is the sound around 3200rpm? I know it's a technological sound, so every Logan has it....

Thanks for your reply

but the sound appear when the RPM s around 2500 rpm
axabrt
The origin of the sound is located in the gearbox ?
What engine do you have. It's important, because know the engine, we can said you what gearbox is on your car...maybe some users from here have the same problem...
mostafabakry
QUOTE(axabrt @ 25 Dec 2009, 22:03)
The origin of the sound is located in the gearbox ?
What engine do you have. It's important, because know the engine, we can said you what gearbox is on your car...maybe some users from here have the same problem...

I have Logan MCV 1600cc, 16v, 105 HP
g100sic
Sound at the same RPM, but in different gears, suggests that its source is in the engine, or, if it is in the gearbox, it must be from its "input" shaft.
mostafabakry
QUOTE(g100sic @ 26 Dec 2009, 18:16)
Sound at the same RPM, but in different gears, suggests that its source is in the engine, or, if it is in the gearbox, it must be from its "input" shaft.

I notice that the sound comes when it was at the 4th gear @ 70 km\h , 2500 RPM
and at the 5th gear @ 90 km\h , 2500 rpm

you think that the sound from thr engine not the gearbox ????

you may be right .

Also i noticed that when i started to hear the sound & I disconnect the gear from the motor moving it the neutral position, I still hearing the sound although the gear is already disconnected & the sound disappear as the speed go down.

what is your advise for that

what is the recommended gearbox oil ( 15W90 or 15W140)

I'm waiting your help

thanks
g100sic
You could try to locate the source of the sound while the car is parked.
Put it in neutral, start the engine, open the hood, and let someone rev the engine to 2500 rpm and keep it at that rpm for a while, and you listen under the hood, or you rev the engine and have someone else listen. The person behind controls should also press and release the clutch pedal (gear in neutral, rev at 2500 rpm).

If the sound can be heard with clutch pedal released (gearbox connected), but not when pressed (gearbox disconnected), the problem is probably in the gearbox.

If it can be heard both ways, then it probably comes from the engine (possibly the clutch too).

But you should be able to hear it even standing in place.
mostafabakry
QUOTE(g100sic @ 28 Dec 2009, 16:22)
You could try to locate the source of the sound while the car is parked.
Put it in neutral, start the engine, open the hood, and let someone rev the engine to 2500 rpm and keep it at that rpm for a while, and you listen under the hood, or you rev the engine and have someone else listen. The person behind controls should also press and release the clutch pedal (gear in neutral, rev at 2500 rpm).

If the sound can be heard with clutch pedal released (gearbox connected), but not when pressed (gearbox disconnected), the problem is probably in the gearbox.

If it can be heard both ways, then it probably comes from the engine (possibly the clutch too).

But you should be able to hear it even standing in place.

thanks for your reply

O.K I'll try to do that as soon as possible
but I usually when i start the engine morning and it was cold I hear some Roughness sound " Ticking sound " if i pressed the clutch pedal the sound disappear the the engine sound become more smooth & quite
does there any relation between that & the whining sound of my car???

waiting your reply

thanks
g100sic
That is definitely something funny with your gearbox, and is it related to the aforementioned sound - maybe yes, maybe no, your mechanic should know.
martin245
I have always had this high pitched whining sound ! But only in the winter during the cold time it goes away in the summer and it does come from the gearbox !
I would not worry its just one of these annoying sounds that some cars tend to make
BUT if it gets louder then you need to take it to your dealer
Stu
mostafabakry
QUOTE(martin245 @ 12 Jan 2010, 07:37)
I have always had this high pitched whining sound ! But only in the winter during the cold time it goes away in the summer and it does come from the gearbox !
I would not worry its just one of these annoying sounds that some cars tend to make
BUT if it gets louder then you need to take it to your dealer
Stu

thanks Martin
Does this means that all Logan cars have the same sound
what is the relation between the weather & the gearbox ? is it affect the gearbox oil viscosity
should i change the gearbox oil with another higher viscosity one like 140 for example
martin245
I would not change the Gearbox Oil
I think the noise comes while the Oil is cold and then it goes away when it has warmed up I dont worry about it anymore
I am off on a long Journey in 3 months time from Karlsruhe Germany to Benidorm in Spain so if my Gearbox does not blow up on the way then everything is OK radmasa.gif
Aali
QUOTE(mostafabakry @ 18 Jan 2010, 21:46)
thanks Martin
Does this means that all Logan cars have the same sound
what is the relation between the weather & the gearbox ? is it affect the gearbox oil viscosity
should i change the gearbox oil with another higher viscosity one like 140 for example

What is minimum maximum temperature in EGYPT? Normally 75-W80 is recommended .If your temp is always 50+ as in Kuwait and Persian Gulf area and you have a truck 85-W140 would be recommended but not in a passenger car and not below 50 temps.If you use 140 in your car you should first kiss your gearbox and a big lump of money good-bye.You would ruin your transmission.At your own risk you could use MOS2 (molibdenum dysulfide) products though I would not recommend it.

Aali
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.