Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Break-in of the 1.4MPI engine
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > Dacia Logan English Corner
zorpetus

Hello,

Dacia recommends to drive Logan below 3000-3500 rpm first 1000 km, and claims that it will reach full performance after 3000 km. Is it possible that they did some computer tweak in order to make engine perform poorer during those first 3000 km to prevent engine damage? huh.gif

There are lot of break-in advices on the net, but most interesting one I've found at:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It looks like if you want to really break-in your engine you have to do it in first 20 km otherwise you'll never get the full performance of your car!?? sad.gif

Could this be true?
Boris
QUOTE(zorpetus @ 19 Apr 2006, 09:37)
It looks like if you want to really break-in your engine you have to do it in first 20 km otherwise you'll never get the full performance of your car!??  sad.gif

Could this be true?

I don't think you should give it too much thought, just follow the recommendations to a reasonable level.

In my opinion nothing will happen to the engine if you accidently go over the 3500 rpm limit a couple of times or more, just don't drive it to the limit during the first 3000 km.
klaus
QUOTE(zorpetus @ 19 Apr 2006, 10:37)
Is it possible that they did some computer tweak in order to make engine perform poorer during those first 3000 km to prevent engine damage?
No, they did not.
QUOTE(zorpetus @ 19 Apr 2006, 10:37)
Could this be true?
I have some doubts.
martin245
Just Finished running in My Logan 14mpi
I have done it the way they said in the logbook 1000 km not over 3,500 revs
It is running like a dream and the power is plentyfull
I have been in the Blackforest today and down on the River Rhine
and it climbs hills like the best of them .
I am off to England on the 8th of May so I will let you know how I get on

The roadholding is also realy good .Nothing like the German test results radmasa.gif (could be the tires)
and fuel consumption for the first 1000 km is 6,6 litres per 100 km
that is good for running in biggrin.gif
cu
Stuart
zorpetus
QUOTE(martin245 @ 23 Apr 2006, 17:44)

I have done it the way they said in the logbook 1000 km not over 3,500 revs
It is running like a dream and the power is plentyfull

and fuel consumption for the first 1000 km is 6,6 litres per 100 km

Have you noticed any gain in power (acceleration, max speed rolleyes.gif ) after 1000 km? Because, what they say in manual is: after 1000 km - you may drive as you like BUT you will not experience any gain in engine perfomanse before 3000 km. (?)

And only 6,6 litres per 100km? I guess only outside city, on highway?

martin245
[quote=zorpetus,23 Apr 2006, 23:15]
YES SHE RUNS VERY SMOOTH AND HAS POWER IN ALL GEARS
I AM VERY IMPRESSED rolleyes.gif
Stu
marksman
OK, so I'll write some engine-related thoughts here, after 13.900 km. Today, I have made a 240 km trip today, using the A/C for about 40% of the trip, top speed ~120 km/h, top rpm: ~4800 and the acceleration looked good even with A/C on.
Of course, the 1.6 engine would have performed even better. I won't tell about the average fuel consumption because I do not want to start a flame, but it's around the figures given by the factory, with (I say) a satisfactory margin of error. I think that the gasoline quality also has something to do with this, so far I have never seen such good acceleration (for my car). The Montana tyres are crap: noisy and poor in performance (on wet roads I've noticed a tendency to skid like on ice - but I also do not have the ABS).
All in all, the car gives you back what you have paid for; nothing more, nothing less. My only concern is the rear-right noise I hear on bumps (mechanics have said that "it's normal, shock absorbers make this noise when working").
mccoy
QUOTE(martin245 @ 24 Apr 2006, 22:20)
YES SHE RUNS VERY SMOOTH ...
Stu

Now, I have no doubts that the word is she
But, probably, the most of male car owners, non-native english speakers,
would consider their car as something with muscles and `balls`
and that cannot be called she 090.gif

P.S. Woman’s rights are unquestionable (to be loved etc.)
mccoy
QUOTE(Illusi0n @ 24 Apr 2006, 22:50)
All in all, the car gives you back what you have paid for; nothing more, nothing less...

Being Logan owner and thus the `membru autentic` of this honorable club is simply
pricelesspopa.gif
QUOTE(Illusi0n @ 24 Apr 2006, 22:50)
My only concern is the rear-right noise ...

Is it mother-in-law’s seat? radmasa.gif

martin245
[quote=mccoy,27 Apr 2006, 14:58]
Now, I have no doubts that the word is she
But, probably, the most of male car owners, non-native english speakers,
AS A TRUE BRIT excl.gif I USE THE WORD "SHE" AS MOST BRITS DO WHEN THEY TALK OF THERE CARS
WE USE THE WORD "SHE" WITH AFFECTION
STU
stoianco
I only say "she" to my car when I step on it very hard and "she" gave me plasure, usually on the highway. In the city "she" become "it".
(my car is a 4 years old Dacia SuperNova with a Renault 1.4MPI engine)
This engine shows his power from the begining so I can not belive they are doing now computer tweaks on the new engines.
DigitalScribe
Over 3500 RPMs the oil (not gas) filter can manage no longer the necessary flow so a bypass valve opens so the oil doesn't flow through the filter anymore. When breaking-in the engine there are some metal particles that are better catched by the filter than flowing through the whole engine. That's the main reason of limiting the RPMs to 3000 - 3500.

After 1000 Km the particles are gone but the engine still needs an extra 2000 Km to loosen itself. When the engine is new the friction inside is greater than after those 3000 Km Dacia si talking about. Less friction inside the engine the more converted power is passed to the weels.
zorpetus
QUOTE(DigitalScribe @ 1 May 2006, 19:23)
Over 3500 RPMs the oil (not gas) filter can manage no longer the necessary flow so a bypass valve opens so the oil doesn't flow through the filter anymore. When breaking-in the engine there are some metal particles that are better catched by the filter than flowing through the whole engine. That's the main reason of limiting the RPMs to 3000 - 3500.

After 1000 Km the particles are gone but the engine still needs an extra 2000 Km to loosen itself. When the engine is new the friction inside is greater than after those 3000 Km Dacia si talking about. Less friction inside the engine the more converted power is passed to the weels.

Thank you very much for this detailed clarification! smile.gif

So, after 1000 km is resonably safe to go over 3000-3500 rpm, but piston rings need additional 2000 km to seat properly, if I understood you correctly?

gonty
You understand very well up.gif. And try not to quote the previous message in the future.
mccoy
QUOTE(martin245 @ 23 Apr 2006, 17:44)
It is running like a dream...

QUOTE(martin245 @ 28 Apr 2006, 20:46)
AS A TRUE BRIT excl.gif  I USE THE WORD "SHE" ...

Affection happened to arise in meantime… wink.gif
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amongst decent internet circles using capital letters is considered as shouting, yelling, bawling, screeching etc.
Let me be allowed to teach you so although you are little older than me and even true Brit.
marksman
QUOTE(mccoy @ 27 Apr 2006, 17:12)
Is it mother-in-law’s seat? radmasa.gif

Actually I am single.
martin245
QUOTE(mccoy @ 2 May 2006, 20:13)
Affection happened to arise in meantime… wink.gif
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amongst decent internet circles using capital letters is considered as shouting, yelling, bawling, screeching etc.
Let me be allowed to teach you so although you are little older than me and even true Brit.

SoRrY I WoNt Do ThAt AgAin
StU
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.