Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: dci ECU - Chiptuning and stuff
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > Dacia Logan English Corner
Veniamy
Hi everyone,

I know that there is a big discussion on Romanian part on chiptuning but if someone could summarize and state the conclusions here in English that would be great.

As a fresh owner of Logan there are a few facts I would like to know:

1. Are there any mechanical differences between Logan/Renault 1.5dci – 65 hp and 1.5dci – 82 hp engine?
2. What exactly needs to be done in order to raise power safely, is simply remaping of ECU enough, and could it be done simply by swapping ECU in Logan with ECU from any Renault 1.5 dci – 82 hp?

Thank in advance
Veniamy
Nothing...
Not even: "GET LOST!!! You and your stupid questions..."

Good night everybody...

PS: That online Romanian to English translator works like shit…
martin245
Chip tune

there is a difference in motors ......how else can you get the power blink.gif

read the above link and see about Chip tuning excl.gif
CHIPS !!! we eat them in England to our fish radmasa.gif
stu
mcv_rulez
Hey, I will answer you, but I'm not really in that area of car customization.

1. The only difference between that two engines is only a stronger turbine.
2. Maybe yes, maybe not. But it's better to buy a new (stronger) turbine for that engine, and your power will raise...
C a t a l i n
It's the same engine, a few minor changes maybe.
You can safely increase the engine's power and torque from 65bhp and 160Nm to 80bhp and 190Nm by simply remaping the ECU, there are not any bad repercusions in engine's life. In Romania there are specialized tuning workshops that cand do the remaping for about 200 euros.
martin245
Diesel engines and performance tuning

The only difference between petrol and diesel engines is the fuel/ignition systems. The rest, including the intake, exhaust, and intake and exhaust valves is basically the same.

So all the different methods of getting more power still apply! More airflow equates to more horsepower, so adding a Turbocharger, or a supercharger, or Nitrous Injection all work just fine! Generally chip tuning works too on modern turbo diesels. The same result is produced by manually increasing the boost level, and subsequent fuelling. The only problem is the way the fuel is burned is slow so 5000 rpm is about it for a car diesel engine! All the tuning does is increase torque lower down the rev range. Consequently conventional tuning brings little gain on a diesel.

Never try adding extra diesel fuel via the air intake though! It will pre ignite during the compression cycle... You may run over your own crankshaft! If you need extra fuel because you have fitted a turbo, turned up the boost level, or fitted Nitrous Injection you must either fool the normal injection system into giving more fuel, or add Propane (because it will not ignite due to compression alone) in the intake system.

This works because Propane (or LPG, Methanol, or high octane petrol) have a high Octane Rating. Octane is a measure of the fuels ability to not ignite under compression alone! So the ignition point in a diesel still depends on the normal Diesel injection pump's timing. The extra Propane fuel is ignited by the diesel burning as it Self ignites upon injection via the injector. Diesel is very low Octane, so the heat of compression alone is enough for reliable ignition as it is injected.

stu
Veniamy
QUOTE(martin245 @ 10 Feb 2007, 20:40)
Chip tune

CHIPS !!! we eat them in England to our fish radmasa.gif
stu

Fish you say. Oh, you must have been eating them Tuna CHIPS then…

And Stuart, just a tought, you might want to add letter “d” after “Stu”, or not… But I reckon it just sounds better then Stu

It basically all comes to this,

The only way I would consider upgrading my new car is via remaping or changing ECU. I know that fitting a bigger turbo can do the job, but I don’t plan to change any parts of the engine or perform any other mechanical change.

I suspected (this is the case with some other manufacturers, VW for example) that the only difference between 65hp and 82hp 1.5 Renault diesels is just software in the ECU.

If there are mechanical differences (read bigger turbo on 82hp engine) I would then leave it alone since forcing smaller turbo doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Comments welcome…
klaus
QUOTE(Veniamy @ 12 Feb 2007, 10:22)
I suspected (this is the case with some other manufacturers, VW for example) that the only difference between 65hp and 82hp 1.5 Renault diesels is just software in the ECU.
I think you suspect wrong... Difference consist in an intercooler, different injectors, different turbine and different injection tables.
martin245
And Stuart, just a tought, you might want to add letter “d” after “Stu”, or not… But I reckon it just sounds better then Stu

There is a easy way to sort out the perfomance !
throw out all the seats exept the drivers seat remove the spare wheel and
the car will now be a lot lighter thus improving acceleration radmasa.gif

StuD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.