Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: First serious technical problem with Logan
DaciaClub - Forum Dacia > English Corner > Dacia Logan English Corner
vv
For the english-speaking buyers - you should be aware of this: one Logan had a serious safety issue (romanian thread: http://www.daciaclub.ro/https://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?showtopic=8811)
On short - there is a Logan owner who claims (and has proven that) that he almost crashed his car into a building because the steering jammed, it was going to the left and there was nothing he could do bring it back to normal.
The scanned documents that prove that this post is not a hoax are here (unfortunately they are in romanian, of course):
http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?act=Atta...pe=post&id=2720
http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?act=Atta...pe=post&id=2722
http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?act=Atta...pe=post&id=2723
http://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?act=Atta...pe=post&id=2724

One point that is especially upsetting is that many of us contacted the Dacia's "customer service" departament to ask if this is an isolated incident and if Dacia investigated this issue to find out what was the root cause (we even made an online petition to ask the manufacturer to provide details - http://www.petitiononline.com/dclgn001/petition.html) - but for a very long period of time we received no answer. A few days ago Dacia finally sent some answers (but it didn't answer the petition). The answers were vague and they only said that "we applied the necessary procedure to deal with this type of particular case". Bottom line - basically Dacia confirmed the incident, claimed that it is isolate (probably true, but it is very severe), and said nothing about what it is doing to prevent it in the f uture (or if it is doing anything at all).

Well that's it, I'm sorry if anything I said is not 100% accurate (maybe due to my insufficient english skills smile.gif ) - I guess someone will correct me if it is the case.
ssilviu
1 single car with this problem. Is that relevant?

ps over 25.000 produced.
vv
we know for sure that 1 car had this problem. There have been (unproven) roumors about a similar incident before this one occured. And how many Logan owners don't have internet access or don't post in this forum?

Anyway - it is clear that the problem is quite infrequent (even if it may not be unique). The most annoying part in this case was the 'customers service' departament, that doesn't answer properly to customer questions (you may wait for weeks to get an answer; and in this case, the answers didn't even say that they will investigate the issue, which is something that we explicitly asked for - they only confirmed that the issue existed and that the car was repaired by the dealer).
Mullibert
i am so happy that i am a german, because the logan will release in germany in june 2005 and i thing then some children-illnesses will be corectet, and the logan will be safer and better (some test from german magazin are not so good: brake distance 44,5m and a very instabile back at high speed) but i hope dacia or renault will work on it, till i buy a logan in 2006 *g*
luxxxian
QUOTE(ssilviu @ 23 Nov 2004, 12:45)

ps over 25.000 produced.

ssilviu, i don't know why you keep repeating that it is only 1 car excl.gif
there is no possible way for you to know that, you could only say "i have knowledge of only 1 car with this problem"
we had this conversation also on the roumanian, but it seems you have some strange reasons to keep repeating that dry.gif

BTW : another member of this forum has knowledge of another serious problem at steering

Also, i think they will produce 25000 by the end of the year, the cars are not already produced.
I seriously think you are working or involved with Dacia.. smile.gif
D-Mark
@Mullibert,
being German is sometimes comfortable, that`s true, but as far as the Logan is concerned, it`s a kind of a problem: They`ll be trying to sell us a completely stripped version at a price for which you get a Laureate 1,6 in Romania. Equipping a Logan similar to the Romanian "Ambition" would cost us probably almost 10,000 euro. That sucks. And Romanian dealers are not responding to questions if the car qualifies for tariff preference.
luxxxian
>And Romanian dealers are not responding to questions if the car qualifies for tariff preference.

Unfortunatelly, the customer service quality is very low here..
They don't bother to answer or to investigate it, since they already have more orders that they can handle..
Boris
QUOTE(ssilviu @ 23 Nov 2004, 11:45)

ps over 25.000 produced.

Well if it's such a problem it is relevant, since it's a new car.

Brr....

I don't even want to imagine how is it to be with out steering or brakes. Thats a nightmare.

I know that other manufacturers have problems allso, but this is a big anticomercial if the owner did not damage the car somehow. Specialy because the Logan is advertised as a robust car for bad roads.

Bye,

Boris

P.S. Did the owner damage the car before that? Was he in a crash?
vv
Boris - the owner did not damage the car. It was a new car, it ran only ~700Km, and it wasn't in any crash. In fact Dacia admitted that it was a manufacturing problem, and they changed the faulty component in that car (what we are upset is that they didn't say if they did any analysis to see why this critical cimponent was bad, how did it pass QA, what are they doing to prevent this in the f uture etc.).
So - it was not an accident or bad roads that damaged the car, it was simply a manufacturing problem.
vv
Sorry for the successive post - but it's a completely different issue:
I had an idea yesterday: maybe Boris and D-mark could call/write to Renault/Dacia customer support in their country, and ask about this steering problem (i.e. say that you know about this issue from Romanian owners, and that you want to know what was actually the problem and if it was investigated). Let us know if you get an answer - maybe Logan is cheaper in Romania because the price doesn't include customer support smile.gif
D-Mark
OK, I`ve been writing them and I`ll post any answers here as soon as I get them.
srdjansimic
Can somebody translate the article from romanian so we can know which model was that. Was it the one with power steering, or without? Was it with ABS or without.
vv
I don't think the ABS is relevant here....
Yes it was with power steering. It was a 'Preference' model.
Boris
QUOTE(vv @ 25 Nov 2004, 11:11)
Sorry for the successive post - but it's a completely different issue:
I had an idea yesterday: maybe Boris and D-mark could call/write to Renault/Dacia customer support in their country, and ask about this steering problem (i.e. say that you know about this issue from Romanian owners, and that you want to know what was actually the problem and if it was investigated). Let us know if you get an answer - maybe Logan is cheaper in Romania because the price doesn't include customer support smile.gif

I will try to get an answer. I dont think they will have an ready answer, but I can ask.

The QA department made an error, we all know that. Maybe it was poor material quality, in which case there will be more problems like this because there will be more than one piece made from the same material shipment. If the material is OK it can be a production error and there is a strong probability that there is more than one piece made the same way (wrong program on the machine, tool not sharp enough ...). If it's an assembly error there is a possibility that there is only one car assembled wrong. In any case the Quality Control department is mostly to blame. Good news will be if they know what the problem was, whether or not they will share that answer with the public we will see.

As I said I will try to get an answer as soon as possible.

Bye,

Boris

Boris
QUOTE(vv @ 25 Nov 2004, 11:11)
Let us know if you get an answer - maybe Logan is cheaper in Romania because the price doesn't include customer support

Hahahaha....

I've got an answer allright (In capital letters):

"THE INCIDENT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HAPPENED IN ROMANIA AND IS THE ONLY ONE KNOWN SO FAR. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY DETAILED INFORMATION, BUT WE ARE SHURE IT'S AN ISOLATED CASE."

Well the price difference can't be because of the customer service smile.gif)

Bye,

Boris
adso
I own a Renault, and apparently in Romania they share Dacia's database.
Since I have been quite a "vocal" Renault customer (I called "Customer's Voice" for right about everything) they contacted me to discuss the concerned e-mail I sent on the jammed steering issue.

The lady was over-the-edge polite, and said that they have learnt of "my interest in the Logan" (one could can say that 243.gif). I said that, what with the jammed steering and the raised prices, in what Dacia was concerned I was one lost customer.

Nevertheless, she insisted in telling me that the jammed steering was one isolated incident, that they are digging into it in France and that as soon as she learnt the cause of the malfunction, she would call me with a reply.

Will keep you posted wink.gif What I wanted to tell you is that Dacia is not lacking customer (moral) support. It is actually lacking the ability to make good cars.
D-Mark
No answers from Renault Germany yet. I`ve given up hope. Hey, by the way, Renault is considered by many Germans to be a clever manufacturer offering both advanced environment-protection technology and creative design in the lower-middle price segment. If they go on like that (keeping quiet about incidents like that; not cooperating on questions about tariffs and CoCs), they`ll lose that reputation quicker than they can say "Logan".
vv
Well it seems that Logan has indeed some problems with the steering. There was another case that apeared on the news - the Logan owner & his family are in the hospital. As expected, he wants to sue the company.

This is the sixth case that we heard about (1 rumoured in Cluj, followed by 1 well documented in Bucharest/IPSO, 3 cases rumoured from one insurance company in Bucharest (at least some of them apparently made some 'quiet' deals with the manufacturer), and now this case that was all over the news). Maybe Dacia will finally do something about this problem, if it went to mass-media.
VladoMKD
Any news about steering problems ?

http://www.daciaclub.ro/https://www.daciaclub.ro/index.php?showtopic=11711

This is steering problem or I'm wrong huh.gif
litza
That was the result of an accident The steering did not caused it, it just seems to be very affected by the impact.
Dsign
they called me after i sent an e-mail about the accident from arad. they have childish excuses, like "the car was not registered when the crash happened, teh car was not seen by a certificated service" and so on...

when i asked what's the connection of the wheel with whether the car is registered or not, the man started to get angry and said that it's none of my bussiness ... stupid mother f...er!!!!!!!!!!
martin245
QUOTE(D-Mark @ 12 Dec 2004, 00:47)
No answers from Renault Germany yet. I`ve given up hope. Hey, by the way, Renault is considered by many Germans to be a clever manufacturer offering both advanced environment-protection technology and creative design in the lower-middle price segment. If they go on like that (keeping quiet about incidents like that; not cooperating on questions about tariffs and CoCs), they`ll lose that reputation quicker than they can say "Logan".

Well Dmark buy yourself a Golf radmasa.gif it is dearer but you will be happy cos your German auto magazines and Adac are against ALL attacks on its German autoindustrie
they even MADE a logen tipp over just to get the public arroused and that is not Hard in Germany mad.gif
Stuart
Waldbronn Germany
icatenej
QUOTE(martin245 @ 2 Apr 2006, 15:12)
Well Dmark buy yourself a Golf  radmasa.gif it is dearer but you will be happy cos your German auto magazines and Adac are against ALL attacks on its German autoindustrie
they even MADE a logen tipp over just to get the public arroused and that is not Hard in Germany mad.gif
Stuart
Waldbronn Germany

It is good practice to read thread carrefully before posting. The last post in this thread was more than one year old before you posted this replay.
Whatever was the case with steering issue, it is probably resolved long time ago. I think that moderators should lock this thread.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.